Saturday, January 19, 2008

Go in Korean is Baduk


I'm way over my head when it comes to relating across cultures. Especially when there is an age culture AND a national culture. I'm sensitive, but the only sensitivity I have sometimes is that I have no clue. I am clueless about Korean middle schoolers. My only consolation is that I suspect our Korean pastor is also clueless about Korean middle schoolers.
We had two brand new adult students from Mexico. I bet they wondered what they'd fallen into. Today I'm thinking that kids and adults should take separate ESL classes. It comes so easily for kids that I think adults are even more intimidated than normal.

My grandson came. He had the misunderstanding that I'd invited him to my Go class (which I hope to be teaching this summer). He was a very good sport when he got straightened out. I asked him play Go with a student who is quite advanced compared to the others, and quite antsy and happy to get out of regular ESL class for a while. My grandson was instructed to talk with the kid as get him to talk as much as possible. They were both the same age. I was surprised to hear that my grandson won ... and I can still beat my grandson and I'm not that good. (OK I'm downright bad) My grandson tells me he has improved since we played on my last laundrymat visit.

Tommy came and helped out. I really admire how open he is about his limitations and how willing he is and truly an asset to the class.

I think the successes of my teaching today was that I included a variety of activity and remembered everything. I was all too aware of my physical limitations today. For the record, we went over conversation small talk and numbers.

High point of the class was during an activity where people were encouraged to give America style small talk compliments. Eun Pyo told Mrs. Kim that she had a beautiful voice. Yes, she really does!

1 comment:

hanayeol said...

Hi, invite baduk blog
http://hanayeol.blogspot.com